Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Curly Hair Care & Mixed Chicks!

I have been hearing a lot about Mixed Chicks lately and I haven't had the chance to try it. My salon just unexpectedly started carrying it so I thought I'd give it a try.
Unfortunately there is no "miracle product" and if you aren't taking care of your hair you can't expect a product to magically make your hair beautiful. So I am going to discuss a little bit of curly hair care before I begin with the review.

To say I have difficult hair is an understatement. I have to spend at least an hour on my hair every day if I want it to look presentable. My hair is literally the reason I am a hairstylist today. Unfortunately growing up my hair was never in the right hands, as most hairstylists have no idea what to do with curly hair. I did everything and used everything and basically looked like a triangular shaped poodle most of my life (or tied my hair back) My mother even gave me a home perm when I was 9 because she heard that it helped to control curls...
The most important thing for curly hair is a proper cut and to keep it moisturized. The reason why curly hair gets frizzy is because it is dry, no ifs ands or but(t)s. It starts with shampoo my hair is very dry and I shampoo my hair usually once a week (sometimes I can go longer). Although I still need to wet it every day & condition multiple times per week. People with finer hair may need to shampoo more often and people with super thick hair may benefit from less (I've met people who go 2 weeks)
A proper cut is also very important because if those ends are split they will cause frizz and eventually keep splitting up the hair and/or break off. Your hair also needs shape and hair doesn't grow evenly all over the head (my left side grows faster than my right) so you need to shape it regularly.

As I was saying, I was excited to try Mixed Chicks so I put it to the test. There are so many different types of curly hair products out there that give different results. I prefer products that keep curls defined, not crunchy & I tend to avoid products that give me the wet look,of course tame frizz, and the products have to last all day. Working in a place where there's blowdriers on around me all day, if the product does not hold enough then I will be a poodle by the end of the day.


Of course I started by using the Mixed Chicks shampoo & then used the Deep Conditioner and left it in for a few minutes. I absolutely loved the smell of the shampoo & conditioner. Although the shampoo does have sulfates in it, it is still quite moisturizing. It's got some protein in it too so it will help strengthen the hair.
While my hair was still wet, not dripping but wet enough that the hair hasn't begun to frizz, I applied the leave-in and diffused dry. I always apply my curly hair products while my head is upside down and start applying by scrunching and slowly working it up to the roots. I always diffuse my hair until it is 80-90% dry. After dried I used the Hair Silk twisting it through the curls to define them give them shine and control any frizz that is there. It actually has silk in it which is a protein very close in structure to the proteins in your hair  & gives amazing softness and shine.


The result? A full day of work, going outside in the Canadian winter (love that wind), a nap & about 3 espresso shots later...
 As you can see there is not much curl in the front on the ends, however it is actually more curl than I have been able to achieve in the past few weeks. The most important part is that it's not frizzy.

Clearly the back of my hair is healthier than the front. This is partially due to the awesome wintertime, the dryness in the air and wind really takes a toll on my hair. The back is always covered by my hat so that would explain why it is healthier. I've also had another stylist go a little scissor happy on it in the past and over texturized (texturizing is a different way of thinning) which tends to create a lot of frizz. Not to mention those pieces have also been brown and blonde before they were copper, and I used to wear my hair straight quite a lot. So I'm in a bit of a "transitioning" phase at the moment.

I was happy though that Mixed Chicks was able to keep my fragile curls moisturized and didn't end up going too frizzy by the end of the day. I am going to continue to use it for the next while and see how it does. Some curly hair products tend to eventually weigh the hair down over time. So the real test is to see how it is after continual usage. Who else has used Mixed Chicks? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment