Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

2011 Academy Awards

So I have decided to jump on the bandwagon and talk about my favourite, and least favourite looks on the red carpet this year. In the theme of the awards I have several categories that I will be "awarding" each red carpet look with: Best Hair, Best Overall Look, Worst Hair and Worst Overall Look. I loved a lot of the looks on the red carpet this year and I have a few honourable mentions as well.

Best Hair


#3 goes to Celine Dion. I think she looked absolutely stunning and of all the celebrities who wore their hair down, Celine was my personal favourite.
Celine Dion in Giorgio Armani Privé
I think the waves looked gorgeous and had just enough volume and curl and look so polished. I think her hair suits the gown very well, and that gown is SO Celine. I don't think anybody else could have pulled off that dress.



#2 goes to Mila Kunis, I had a really hard time deciding between #1 and #2, however Mila Kunis' updo is just a slight bit frizzy and that is why she is #2. 
I think the updo is beautiful though and I love what they did with the front. The fingerwave flows so nicely into the updo and really makes your eye travel from her face to her hair seamlessly. 

Mila Kunis in Elie Saab











The concept of her hair is actually my favourite, but unfortunately it just looks slightly too unfinished to be the best hair of the night.












#1 Best Hair is Anne Hathaway


Anne Hathaway in Valentino




I'm a sucker for updos and her simple chignon is so well done. It is not frizzy at all and her hair looks shiny and healthy. The few strands left out to frame her face are just perfect. I love her hair colour as well, the caramel hilights are just the right colour for a beautiful natural look against her base colour.












Best Overall Look


Hailee Steinfeld in Marchesa and Ferragamo Clutch & Pumps

#3 goes to Hailee Steinfeld, I think she looks like a princess. I love the ballerina feel of the entire look. At the age of 14 I am very happy that they kept her makeup natural. She is beautiful and the simplicity of her makeup and her hair back really accentuate her beautiful features. I love the detailing in the dress, and her champagne coloured pumps complete the look. 















#2 for Best Overall Look goes to Halle Berry. Again, it was a very very close between #1 and #2.
Halle Berry in Marchesa and Christian Louboutins



Halle Berry never disappoints and this year was no exception. The colour of her dress against her skin tone, the detailing, the train. She is absolutely stunning. I'm happy she didn't wear a lot of jewelery because it really would have taken away from the beauty of this gown. Her hair is perfect for this look, funky but still put together. I love the peep tow Christian Louboutins, but c'mon who doesn't love Christian Louboutins?













The #1 Best Overall Look for the 2011 Oscars was Jennifer Hudson. It was a very close one between her and Halle.
Jennifer Hudson in Atelier Versace
The deciding factor? The dress. The tangerine orange looks amazing on her, and not a lot of people can wear that colour. Apparently when she tried on the dress she didn't want to take it off to go to bed and I don't blame her. Definitely the best dress of the night, and shows off her new figure so well. Her makeup and hair give me a bit of an old Hollywood glam feel along with just enough jewelery to accent the gown. Her makeup is absolutely flawless.













Now time for some of the looks I did't like...

Worst Hair


Hilary Swank in Gucci Premiere
#3 is Hilary Swank. I like the idea and the brooch but the bun in the back is just too messy for my liking. From a distance I'm sure it looked great, and she looks great with her hair pulled back... but you can still see the backcombing in her bun and that is a big no no for me. Her makeup is just a little too simple I think, but her dress is absolutely beautiful I'll give her that!










Scarlett Johansson in Dolce & Gabbana

My #2 worst hair is Scarlett Johansson. Her dress was beautiful the colour suited her so well and her makeup was very well done but her hair just looked unfinished. It was just so frizzy, maybe her hairstylist didn't show up and she just let it dry naturally? What bothers me the most about her hair is that it is a real simple fix, just a tiny bit of serum and it would have tamed those flyaways.




And my #1 Worst Hair goes to.... Helena Bonham Carter


It literally looks like a lopsided birds nest on the top of her head. Half of it looks like it is falling out and it is so frizzy. Look at that neckline in the back, it actually looks like her hairstylist forgot to do something to those baby hairs (or maybe she did it herself because that's what it looks like). But I do like those earrings. 

Congratulations Helena, you also win the title of Worst Overall Look 

Helena Bonham Carter's dress was designed by Colleen Atwood. 


Okay so I do like the idea of a gothic look and I think the fan is cute but she looks absolutely terrible. Again, her hair is lopsided and maybe if it was put up nicely and not frizzy it would have looked great

The dress? I actually kind of like the top, but the fact that the bottom looks like a different shade of black (and different material?) If the top and bottom actually matched I think it would have made her look a little bit better. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Although this is much better than every other year, she still looks pretty awful. Maybe next year?




I must say though, for 44 she does look very young, she claims to be against plastic surgery and good for her!










Honourable Mentions


Natalie Portman in Rodarte

Natalie Portman looks beautiful in this shade of violet and definitely has that pregnancy glow. Those Jimmy Choo's are gorgeous but I bet she couldn't wait to take those off at the end of the night!










Sharon Stone in Christian Dior


Sharon Stone, almost 53 and she looks absolutely amazing. I like her hair longer and off her face, the volume is awesome. Her makeup is beautiful and her dress is stunning. Stacy London tweeted last night that Sharon Stone can show Helena Bonham Carter how to wear black and I totally agree. Love the ostrich feather detailing on the shoulder.














There you go! I hope you all enjoyed my favourite and least favourite looks of the red carpet for the 2011 Academy Awards. And I will be posting very shortly with a product review for fine hair.





Credits:
Anne Hathaway photos from: egotastic.com and okmagazine.com
Jennifer Hudson photo from: thefashionwire.com
Halle Berry photo from: thejasminebrand.com
Sharon Stone photo from: news.com.au
Celine Dion photo from: saucysprinkles.com
Mila Kunis photos from: makeupstyle20.com & sawfnews.com
Natalie Portman photo from: beautyisdiverse.com
Hilary Swank photo from: stylefrizz.com
Helena Bonham Carter photos from: theiconconcierge.com




3 comments:

  1. Hey Llisa! It's Nadiya - your short-haired client. ;)

    I agree with all your Oscar comments. Hailee looked the best, in my opinion. Jennfier Hudson looked amazing too, except for her alarming cleavage - not that I am against cleavage. Her girls were just not done right.

    One caveat: Helena knew perfectly well what she (and her stylist) were doing. Didn't you know that she is purposely weird?! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nadiya! Glad you agree mostly :) Maybe Jennifer Hudsons cleavage was a bit much but I didn't find it too bad. I agree that yes Helena Bonham Carter is purposely weird but just... look at her lol

    glad you were finally able to find my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Helena's hair... What's wrong with it?

    ReplyDelete