Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

A Midsummer Nights Hair


What a busy summer it has been. As you've noticed I have not updated my blog in a long time, but I have a very good reason for that. I am launching a website and integrating my blog into it. I'm not a professional web designer and with my busy schedule it's something that takes a bit of time. I am very very excited about this and it will be coming very shortly! My first post will be from a photoshoot I did a while back with DA Photography so check back soon.

Now on to what this post is really about...

There's a race every summer in Toronto called the Midsummer Nights Run. My friend Sara and I decided to run it this year. The best part about the race is that you get to dress like fairies, and of course I just HAD to do our hair to go with the theme. There is a 5k, 15k, and 30k, and we did the 15k.

I was never the best with braids but this summer I've been getting really into it. They're a lot of fun and they are so hot right now. I just want to remind you all to not to braid your hair when it's wet. The reason for this is because when your hair is wet it stretches and when it dries it shrinks. Over time it can cause a lot of breakage. Same goes for ponytails. If you must wear your hair up while it's wet use a scrunchy and tie it loosely.


Sara's hair before I went crazy with the flowers

In a classic french braid you braid the strands over top of the middle strand. The braid is more underneath the hair. With Sara's hair I braided the strands underneath the middle strand. In makes the braid sit on top of the hair. This is actually the method corn rows are done. This way it makes it easier for me to slide the baby's breath throughout the hair. 

After I went flower crazy

Mine was done with the same style as Sara's (braiding strands under not over). To wrap the braid around my head I parted it on the side and started two small braids at the part line. Then after meeting in the back I just pinned everything like an updo and threw flowers in everything.



Although we did not win the costume contest, we definitely had the best hair. I was surprised we were the only ones who showed up with flowers in our hair. The best part is that the hair and flowers all stayed in tact after the 15 kilometer race.

We had so much fun in this race and we also have another fairy themed race coming up. Sara, myself and my mom are going to be running the Tinkerbell Half Marathon in Disneyland, California in January. I am sosososososososo excited (will be my first real holiday since I became a hairstylist!) and we are going to dress up as Tinkerbell, so I will definitely be posting our hair for that too.


Check back soon to see the pictures from my photoshoot. Also make sure to check out Sara's blog. She also did a post about the race and made an awesome video about it too.



3 comments:

  1. This is nothing short of absolutely fantastic, Llisa. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for writing such an excellent post. The manner in which you have presented all of the pertinent information on the subject is superb.
    Proper Way to Wash Your Hair

    ReplyDelete