Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Why I am a Product Junkie

No product this week, I've decided to really talk about the importance of why we use hair products. So many clients come in and say that they don't want to use products because they don't want to damage their hair. Well guess what, if you're styling your hair without using any product you're actually causing more damage to the hair. I don't like to use too many products in the hair at one time because then it tends to build up, and we still want it soft and touchable.
If you want to achieve any type of "style" at all with your hair you need to use products. They are called styling aids because that's exactly what they do. They will make whatever you're doing (ex. straightening or adding volume) much easier, hold the style, and some shorten the amount of drying time. A lot of damaged hair I see is thermally damaged hair. Not protecting it can absolutely fry your hair just as bad as chemical damage. Styling products will not necessarily repair the hair, but the right one will "fill in" damaged spots to prevent from further damage.

There are so many different types of products, however most styling products are used for:

  • control
  • volume
  • texture
  • protect
  • finishing (hold & shine)

Some products may do more than one thing, and the choice of which product to use depends on your hair type, and what your desired result with your hair style is. If you have very fine hair, you wouldn't want to use a heavy serum or oil, the same way somebody who has frizzy thick hair wouldn't use a volumizing product. Make sure you know what you want to achieve with your hair and you will be able to find the right product. If you aren't sure what to use, ask your stylist. I'm very honest with my clients and if there is a product that I don't like I'll tell them, and the same goes on here. Each product I've chosen every week is something that I have used., and I will not recommend it if I wouldn't use it on my own clients or myself.

Hope you enjoy my mini product knowledge. I will be posting another product review of a different curly hair line soon, and Part 2 of How to Love your Curls will be up within the next few says so check back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment